The loan scholarship scheme was initiated by Sunbird members (through the MSS) in 2007 for providing interest free loan scholarships to students from the North East:-
- Access to education, job opportunities and self-sufficiency.
- Expose participants to multicultural and secular environment of India
- Preventing youth straying into hands of militants or falling prey to drugs, alcohol or petty crime.
- Helping lift entire families out of penury
- Interest free loans provided to undergraduate students.
- Beneficiaries selected from North East Indian students wishing to study in any part of India.
- Loans are given directly to the institutions where the students are studying .
- Installments on proof of academic progress. Regular monitoring of students.
- Loans to be returned within 2 years after completion of the course.
- Beneficiaries encouraged to support the scheme and participate in its activities upon employment.
- As beneficiaries return money loaned to them, the corpus is continually renewed. Donations remain in perpetuity for use of successive beneficiaries.
- Complete transparency in functioning – donors fully aware of utilisation of their contribution with option of remaining directly in touch with the sponsored child/family and the school/institute.